On Time Etiquette...5 Steps To Setting The Table

Photography by Steve & Jane
Ambiance Real Weddings Arlington,VA

This week a friend shared photos from a wedding she recently attended. The cake was beautiful, the bride looked happy but I couldn't take my eyes off of the reception tables. All I kept thinking was, WHO set these tables?

They were as wrong as wrong can be and I can't seem to get over it. I thought to myself, as we head into Thanksgiving, maybe I take for granted having been taught to set a proper table. It dawned on me that I also chose a profession that allows me to practice setting the table over and over again. So instead of continuing to stew in disbelief, that the knife is on the left, maybe I should share my tips/tricks for teaching it.

Here is a trick for a basic table setting that I like to share when I am ask to do mini etiquette courses with a Girl Scout/Brownie troops. It is simple enough to remember yet easy enough to apply. It is unlikely to change any time soon, unless virtual dining becomes a thing and we no longer need silverware or plates.

I encourage you to apply it and commit it to memory. Teach it to one other person (young or old) for extra credit. You clearly never know when you'll be ask to set a table for someone's wedding or other important event. All you need to remember is FORKS.

F - is for the fork. Which should go down first on the left on the seat.

O - represents the "O" shape of a dinner plate but the method does apply to all plate shapes.

R - is for the placement of the cup/glass, to the upper right of the dinner plate. Drink Right.

K - the knife is next, placed on the right hand side of the dinner plate. Teeth facing the plate.

S - is for spoon, as you have probably guested. It goes next to the knife when the meal calls for it.

Now go forth...set...and come back for show and tell. Volunteer to set the table for family and/or friends this week, or teach someone else. Either way, post a pic and show off your handy work. I'm already ready to be SO proud of you.


ENJOY!

No comments: