Pardon My French: Potluck Etiquette Series

Photo Cred: Clip Art Kid
The single most brilliant idea I have had in a long time came today, when my good friend T called me early in her work day...from her office phone...because what she needed to vent "could NOT wait til this evening".

My full attention was fixated on her next words, yet as they left her lips, belly deep laughter soon rang out. Her story started much like this...

T: We have a breakfast today at work and certain people signed up to bring things, right? 
Me: ok. 
T: (continued with) how are you going to...

...Sign Up for paper goods but only bring napkins and silverware. Where in the hell are the plates?
...Organize the damn breakfast, sign up to bring something, but remember you scheduled that day off.
...bring a casserole, in which, a third is missing!
...sign up for juice, bring 2 containers, for a staff of 65!

I could go on but I think you understand the shock and urgency she called with. I have temporarily lost my voice this week (laryngitis) and managed to howl like a wolf in uncontrollable laughter. What I love most, is that her call wasn't just to tell me how raggedy her co-workers are, although she would have been well within her right. No, she called me as a bat signal...do something about this...educate the people for goodness sake. 

So here goes. Over the next several weeks I have made it my mission to hear your stories, pull from my own experiences, and provide you with a guide of sorts for potluck/party etiquette. Some of you will find these tips eye opening and informative, while others will find it just plain comical. I am thrilled and honored to champion this cause and make 'mandatory' work fun (potlucks, secret Santa, holiday parties) a more enjoyable experience. 

Today's call made it clear that some of you don't have a clue what you are doing or you just don't give a damn. I mean really!?!?! No plates? 

Imma have ya'll whipped into shape before the holidays are over. Hope you'll join me on this quest! I simply CANT wait! And you can pre-address your thank you's to Ms. T! 

Do you have an unbelievable potluck story to share? I'm all ears, lol.  Post a comment! 

No comments: