Pardon My French: Book by the Cover Cake

Being a wedding planner for a little over a decade has made me a snob of sorts, a cake snob to be
more specific. I have had my share of tastings, which has grown to be my favorite part of the planning process. Chocolate, Red Velvet, Strawberry, Lemon, Marble... I have had some drop dead delicious creations. I literally do a happy dance when it's time for cake, just ask my team! 

Lately, I have had more than a few disgusting duds...like turn my head and spit it out, gross. There is nothing more disappointing on wedding day than lack luster cake! You know, one that is perfect in every detail, a stunning centerpiece for guests to behold, but falls flat on the palette. You recall the old saying, never judge a book by its cover? Well, I believe the same applies cake. 

Sweet Blossom Cakes
*exquisite detail and delectable*
You can not give $3-$7 per slice to just anyone. You certainly mustn't  base your decision on design alone. Although the look of your wedding cake is a deal breaker, taste is paramount. Taste every flavor you are thinking of serving. I know it sounds a bit excessive, but it is very necessary. 

Why, you may ask? All flavors are NOT created equal. Every baker does not excel with every flavor. When I visit a new bakery, I try to order about 6 different things/flavors. I find that one or two treats will bring on the happy dance but most others will fall short of memorable. This is how I can almost instantly know which designer to send you to when you say you want red velvet verses chocolate. I have simply found everyone can't make a good red velvet cake and because you can does not also mean you make a good chocolate. 

This is why you should not limit yourself on tastings. Yes, most designers will have you choose three or four flavor combinations to try; if the vanilla was just ok, the lemon was great, but you didn't love the chocolate, there is no reason to feel pressured into making an alternative choice like pink moscato, as your final selection. You can not assume another flavor will be equally moist and delectable as a flavor you did like. Now, if everything you try is amazing, then it is a safer bet to choose a new flavor without additional tastings. 

I advise you to try the flavors you want...if you find yourself a bit underwhelmed, try some more. Be prepared to pay for extra tastings if it means finding the one. Wedding cake can get pricey...approach it just like you would your wedding dress. And when you taste the one...there will be no question in your mind, it is the right cake for you. 

For more advice and tips like this...SUBSCRIBE using link to the right in the side bar. ==>



#wedding #weddingcake #weddingcakeflavors #weddingcaketrends #ambianceadores #askambiance #pardonmyfrench # weddingplanner #dayofcoordinator #northernvirginiabride #virginiabride #virginiaweddings #isaidyes #gettingmarried #gettinghitched #ido #love 

No comments: